Nous aurons la paix sur terre lorsque nous serons en paix avec la terre.
From 1st to september 3rd – 2023 in Caen
The Chair of Excellence is pleased to invite you to its closing event, an opportunity to take stock of 4 years of collaboration, and a firm international commitment to the advancement of the rights of future generations and the message of sustainable peace.
It will be a moment of celebration for all the heads of research, and provide an opportunity to reflect upon research activities, scientific diplomacy and interventions involving both the general public and carried out alongside international civil society.
How can we achieve and maintain peace with our planet by ensuring the rights of future generations?
What current processes of transformation are in line with the future paradigm of a law for the Anthropocene?
Together, we will explore these various converging dynamics, in advance of the UN Summit of the Future in 2024.
The programme will include a look back over 4 years of exploration during this international Chair, which was able to adapt to the Covid crisis by switching to a webinar format. The Chair has witnessed historic moments in scientific diplomacy for the progression of the rights of future generations, including the recognition of the right to a clean, healthy and sustainable environment, and the recognition of animal rights. We have seen the emergence of a perspective of decolonization regarding indigenous peoples and their knowledge, with efforts to promote their involvement in transitional justice processes. There have been good stories, climate justice has been obtained in international and regional courts. The list goes on…
A wide range of topics, all supported by the Chair in its work towards responsible legal innovation, that will ensure ethical, political and legal responsibility for the future.
It is organized in collaboration with our prestigious partners:
Professor Edith Brown Weiss, Dean of the School of Law and Vice-Rector of the United Nations University of Peace (UPEACE).
And line leaders (more speakers coming soon):
- Emilie Gaillard on metamorphosis processes to strengthen the rights of future generations
- Aloïse Quesne on animal sentience and animal rights
- James May and Erin Daly on Good Legal Stories
- Alexandra Aragão on responsible legal innovation
- Bénédicte Bévière-Boyer, Amandine Cayol and Émilie Gaillard on the trilogy of Transhumanism, Transanimalism and Transterritory
- Jochen Sohnle and Christophe Bouriaux on environmental ethics for lawyers
- Alyn Ware on the scientific diplomacy campaign in support of Vanuatu’s landmark referral to the International Court of Justice of an advisory opinion on climate and the obligations of States under international law and the rights of future generations
- Leslie Cloud on the need to promote the right to self-determination of indigenous peoples, to consider them more in transitional justice processes, and the cycle of webinars on intergenerational dialogues with indigenous peoples (organized by Émilie Gaillard and later by Leslie Cloud).
Video reviews of the Summer University and the conference on Professor Mireille Delmas-Marty’s Compass of Possibilities, prepared by Musadaq Sultan from the University of Lahore.
Venue : Caen (to be confirmed)
programme complet dans les autres articles
Simultaneous interpretation in English, French and Spanish.